Aside from the horrific humidity and constant infestation of fanny-pack indulging tourists, DC is absolutely amazing in the summertime. There is nothing more relaxing than opening a bottle of white wine on a fabulous terrace or laying on a picnic blanket while watching a movie outdoors (wine also in tow). Fortunately for us Washingtonians, there is never a shortage of spots to enjoy the summer air and as an added bonus: the tourists usually don’t know about these little gems.
So, here they are: my picks for some of the best spots to enjoy a fabulous Washingtonian Summer:
- Best place for music: Jazz in the Garden (Fridays; 5:00 pm to 8:30 pm ). Whether or not you’re a fan of Jazz music, this event, held at the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden (National Mall at 7th Street and Constitution Avenue NW), is a total blast. The free concert series allows you to bring in your picnic and enjoy dinner in the heart of the nation’s capital with great music in the background. And, while you’re not allowed to bring in your own alcohol, there are vendors on site selling delicious summer drinks like Sangria as well as beer and wine!
- Best places for a movie: Who wants to watch a total dud in a dark crowded movie theater when they can lay outside in the beautiful weather watching a flick already deemed a classic? Don’t risk your $10 with a summer blockbuster, fill your picnic basket with wine, cheese, crackers (and if you’re old-school, popcorn), and enjoy a movie in the great outdoors! Just remember that while the movies start at dusk (around 8:30 – 9pm), people usually arrive at 5pm to get a good spot!
- Screen on the Green: Located on the National Mall between 8th and 14th Streets NW. Monday nights at dusk beginning July 25th. Schedule of movies available here.
- Rosslyn Outdoor Film Festival: Located at Gateway Park at Lee Highway near Key Bridge. Friday nights at dusk beginning April 29 and ending August 26. Schedule available here.
- Best place for a drink: Above DC (aka ADC), the stylish rooftop lounge at Donovan House, is the perfect place for a fabulous (and delicious!) summer drink. In addition to serving some of famed restaurant ZENTAN’s menu items, three new frozen specialty cocktails make this exclusive pool-side rooftop an amazing place to enjoy stunning views of this stunning city. And if that’s not enough temptation for you, a selection of Zentan’s famous sushi and sashimi is also available Monday through Saturday from 6 PM to 1 AM. YUM. ADC’s Frozen yummies include:
- Sake Garden Crush: cucumber, lemon, ginger, Nigori Sake and Ping Grapefruit Belvedere Vodka
- Pink Poodle: Absolut Orient Apple Vodka, cranberry juice, pineapple juice, and citrus juices, garnished with a Becherovka float;
- Orange Crush Margarita: Jose Cuervo, Orange soda, Luxardo Maraschino and fresh citrus juices, as well as the Peach Tea made with Absolut Wild Tea, simple syrup, lemonade and peach liquer
- Mai Thai, made with white and dark rum, pineapple juice, orange juice, Triple Sec, grenadine and Amaretto.
- Frozen Vodka and Red Bull: Shockingly Belvedere Vodka and Red Bull!
- Best places for a meal: Isn’t a meal with friends or family just so much more fun when you’re sitting outside? Here is a list of my favorite places to enjoy the weather and grab a bite!
Just remember to hydrate! xo – KC