Last weekend Craig & I enjoyed an amazing night out aboard the American Spirit – DC Sail’s 65-foot schooner that not only provided a beautiful Friday night for us, but also made a difference in people’s lives. The funds raised from our perfect sunset sail went to provide under-served inner city youth the opportunity to learn to sail. Amazing right?! I definitely suggest setting up a date night or better yet, getting a group together for a sail on the Potomac. It was breathtaking even for a native Washingtonian who (thinks she) has seen it all!
What to love:
- Sails run Friday (and some Saturday) nights from 6 – 9 pm through September and 5 – 8 pm through October. Find the full schedule here.
- Soda & water are included, but feel free to bring a cooler of your own beer, wine, and snacks to enjoy throughout the three-hour sail.
- Become a member of DC Sail (a non-profit organization), and your ticket, normally $50, is half-off for you and up to three guests.
- Private Charters are available and reasonably priced. They’re an awesome way to throw a very unique party!
What to know:
- The sun can be rather strong at the beginning of the sail so make sure you pack sunscreen and sunglasses – and dress comfortably!
- The boat only holds 35 people so cruises fill up well in advance.
- American Spirit is docked at Gangplank Marina. Parking is available in cash-only lots or metered spots (which can be paid for by phone or coins).
Check out more ways to be a part of DC Sail at www.dcsail.org. Ahoy, Matey! xo – KC